Monday, January 19, 2009

Rosemary Sea Salt Focaccia & White Bean Soup


Not sure where I found this recipe, no doubt while cruising other food blogs. And by the way let me have it stated for the record that I am am definately a cook and not a baker. Almost every baking attempt I have made has resulted in faliure. My Focaccia never rose for some reason, I waited for much longer than the recipe called for and it just never did... perhaps the temperature in the house. Anywho, even though it didn't turn out as desired it was tastey none the less. Actually it reminded me alot of the homemade pretzles we used to make when we were little. Anything with sea salt is delicious.
Ingredients:
.25 oz packet of yeast
280 ml water ( room temperature )
6-7 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp sea salt
2 Tblsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus extra to sprinkle on top
about 17.5 oz white wheat flour
2 tsp coarse sea salt
A greased baking tin (about 10 x 12")

Place half the flour in a large bowl, add the salt and rosemary and mix briefly. Pour in the yeast and mix well. Pour in all the water and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix until the flour is incorporated. Gradually work enough of the remaining flour to make a soft but not sticky dough. The amount needed will depend on what flour you use, and also the conditions on the day.
Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and silky.
Leave to rise until doubled in size at cool to normal room temperature in a lightly oiled mixing bowl covered with a damp cloth for about 2 hours.

Once risen, press into the shape of the pan making sure the dough is spread evenly and to the endges and corners.
Cover and let rise until doubled (about 45 minutes).

Flour fingertips and make dimples in the dough about 1" or 1/2" apart. Cover and let double again (45 minutes). While dough is rising again, preheat oven to 430F

Once risen, sprinkle sea salt and rosemary and drizzle olive oil on top. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes. The bread should be golden brown.



Tuscan White Bean Soup

I Started off by putting a few tbsp of olive oil in the bottom of a large pot and browned some chopped garlic in it. Be careful not to burn the garlic, I added a splash of chicken broth to the pot to stop the garlic from cooking once it reached its desired color. Added some chopped aromatics (carrots, zuccini, tomatoe) let them saute for a bit and added some sea salt, pepper, rosemary, and a wee bit of honey ; )















Then added the rest of the chicken broth (used a 32 oz carton) and then some fresh chopped spinach.















Once this came back to a boil I added one can of great northern beans, and half a can of cannalini. I added a sprinkle of corn starch to help it thicken, and let stew for maybe 20 mins.












As far as measurements go I usually wing it according to taste and my own likes and dislikes. (guess this is partially why I am not a good baker, I don't exactly like the follow recipes word for word)
The broth of this soup was fantastic, the beans a tad dry but expected with canned beans, Had a good consistency, and made a good portion for 2 with some left overs (I always make sure I have leftovers when it comes to soup)

- Jackie